Think- Pair- Share Learning Module
1. Think-Pair-Share is an active learning technique that can be used in classes of all sizes.
2. After a question is posed to the class, students are asked:
– First to think of or write their answers independently,
– Then pair or convene into small groups to discuss their answers
– Finally, share their group’s responses with the class.
3. Variations of think pair share can include: Pair-Share, in which students are given a problem and read and think prior to class, Think-Pair, with students being given the opportunity to think about and discuss a question in class, and then asked to write their answers independently in or after class. Think-Pair-Share can be combined with voting mechanisms for variations such as think-vote-pair share, think-pair-vote-share, etc.
4. Think-Pair-Share has multiple benefits for the learner as well as the instructor including increased learner participation, increased learner facility with oral presentation, greater opportunity for feedback, and more opportunity for engagement with higher order learning tasks.