Learner Centered Teaching Pearls
- Learner-centered teaching is an approach that seeks to develop independent learners by encouraging students to become aware of how they are learning and to make learning skills something they want to develop.
- Learner-centered teachers are guided by 2 questions: “How can I best promote learning?” and “How can I balance guidance and independence?”
- The critical features of learning can be grouped into Skill (content), Will (motivation) and Meta-skill (learning strategies).
- The goal of education should be shifting students’ expectations for external guidance (from the teacher) to achieving self guidance (by the student alone).
- We can balance the friction between guidance and independence through shared guidance – maintaining a dialogue with students that allows us to adapt our instructions to their individual needs.