- Test items should map to specific course objectives and should focus on important concepts.
- Items should assess application of knowledge, not recall of isolated facts.
- Item stem/lead-ins must pose clear and focused questions.
- Avoid trivial or overly tricky/complex questions.
- Avoid technical flaws that cue students to the correct answer, or introduce irrelevant difficulty.
» Multiple Choice Question Test Item Construction (PDF)
» NBME - Item Writing (link)
» NBME U - Online Lessons on Assessment Principles (link)