- Show students you are invested in them as individuals
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for your material
- Prepare class materials and your plan to navigate the material ahead of time
- Organize your room to foster discussion and collaboration
- Set expectations with your group
PEARLS—MANAGING THE CLASSROOM
- Facilitate discussion rather than lecturing
- Redirect questions you receive to the group
- Plan questions and questioning strategies
- Allow students ample time to respond to your questions
- “The Dominating Student”: Redirect, avoid engaging, reiterate all expected to participate, meet privately
- “The Quiet Student”: Ask a question you know they know, pair-share, reinforce contributions, meet privately
- Plan use of the white board—sketch it out—use a “parking lot”, note key points.
- Ask students for feedback before the end of the course.